Sunday, April 27, 2008

Too Much Water




We took a trip to the ocean one Saturday a while back. Guinness needed to meet the owner of the doggie day care she wants to go to near my work and it's right by the beach. She was a good dog and got approved for a half day. I found out from the owner that she had to send a wheaten away one time - resource guarding. I'm finding out that sometimes wheatens have . . . issues.


Anyway the beach was right there and I couldn't turn down an opportunity to introduce puppy to the ocean. She looooooves water and I thought she'd enjoy the waves. She's still not coming when she's called so I resisted the temptation to take her off leash and just walked her along the shore for a while letting her pounce on the waves rolling in. She loved it. I had heard, but never read, that salt water is bad for wheatens so I wanted to make sure it got rinsed off. How handy that there was a fountain at the plaza by the beach?




She also played in the hose when she got home. It's so fun to watch her run around and chase it and she's never happier than when in the water, plus there was that rinsing thing I was worried about.


This is a cautionary tale because I don't think she got all the way dry. It was into the 80s but not really hot enough and she wound up with an ear infection even though I used the hair drier on her. She was a sad puppy shaking her head and scratching the next day and had to go to the vet. She had a week's worth of ear medicine and antibiotics before she was roo rooing and back to her old self.
As soon as she'd let me I trimmed the hair that is under her ears so it would stay dry. I also cut her little top pouf. My SO called her mullet head - which we both took offense to.

No comments: